Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Two Subject Wednesday: Manners and New Music

FYI, this probably wont be a weekly thing (the two subjects that is), but it sounded like a great title, so there.

I have a friend. She is awesome I'll have you know, and she posted something about manners on Facebook. You can read what she wrote here (seriously, it's almost as awesome as she is).  At the end she asked what other people thought about what she wrote, and I think that it makes a lot of sense. I've done some of the things she's posted though. I cannot lie. Just the culture I guess. It's second nature at this point; we've all done it. But seriously, read it. Good stuff.

I asked her permission to borrow her idea. Therefore, since she did Facebook, I thought that I would do just the plain old Internet--condensed though; I can't do everything, you see. I'm only human.There are some things that Poops mentions that I've elaborated on, such as the second bullet, and I'd like to say that they were hers first. I am just agreeing.  Before I get going, I would like to say that these things are probably not for anyone who is not in my generation or younger. I'm not going to call you old, but you're a lot wiser and didn't have computers like I did, therefore needed to know how to spell, capitalize, cite, and proofread better than any of my fellow Generation-X and -Yers (hehe, wires). You were taught well.

  • For the love of all things that are holy, please do not capitalize whole words unless you want to emphasize them. When I see capital letters, I imagine the person who is talking TO BE SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS TRYING TO MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THINGS IN THIS WORLD DO NOT ADD UP! EXPECT 2012 TO BE YOUR LAST YEAR ON EARTH! Annoying, isn't it? If you have access to making letters bold or italicized, use that. You don't want to sound angry and bitter.
  • If YoU tHiNk YoU'rE cOoL dOiNg ThIs.....You're not. I can't even read that and I was the one who wrote it.
  • Learn some grammar. Seriously. I understand that when you're in school, and you are learning grammar in language arts class; it's wicked boring, I get it. But getting absolutely no respect from your peers because you can't spell or use the right tenses is kind of a let down as you get older.  This brings me to this next one:
    • Proofread and spell correctly, please. Spell checker cannot catch everything. If you don't agree, watch this. Heck, if you do agree watch it and pass it on.  Learn to spell correctly. It's important. If you don't, you look like someone who needs to go back to the fourth grade.
  • Think about your audience. Your grandmother is on Facebook. I understand she posts that she's now going to brush the cat, but what would she say if you were swearing left and right in a status that you post. She has the ability to comment saying how disappointed she is in you and even though you may delete her comment, people know that you've been chewed out by your grandmother; on Facebook. And no, I don't want to know that you've just had sex; neither does your mother. Do you really want to go down that road?
      • Not all people know what ttfn means (unless you're a Tigger fan like I am), or wytbw...what ARE you talking about Willis? Other than "lol," "btw" or "omg" on your status update, I don't want to see it. Neither does anyone else.  Texting language is for texting and instant messaging only; not emails, status updates, or comments. Teens and tweens used to use that to make sure their parents didn't understand what they were talking about. News Flash: Parents now know what their teens are talking about. Get over it.
         
      • Tweets are different, in my opinion. I think that minor texting language is okay, your tweet shouldn't be filled with it though. After all, you only have 140 characters. Just make sure that the texting language you use is universal.
  • Emails are more formal than a comment or post. No, if you're emailing any of your immediate family or friends, you don't need to have an actual format for your email, but anyone else, you do. Again, think of your audience here: employers, co-workers, professors, etc.
  • Big announcements online need to be told to your family before you tell the whole world; a phone call or a private email--not a message on your preferred social network. The fam needs to know before you post that you're pregnant or engaged or if you've got Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (wiki that...). The rest of your friends can comment on Facebook about your recent big announcement after that. Don't be cheesy and have Aunt Frankie ask why she wasn't one of the first to know.
 Okay, now that I have said my peace, I would like to talk about the new song I just downloaded. Besides my obsession with all things Twilight or Glee related, I am also semi-obsessed with Grey's Anatomy. They just had their "Music Event."  

Just to bring you up to speed, there are these two docs named Arizona and Callie, both are lesbians. They were in a relationship but then broke up, where Callie slept with her best friend, Mark. She got pregnant. Arizona comes back, and all three are in this baby triangle. Then Arizona wants more commitment and asks Callie to marry her. Then they hit a truck. 

As a Grey's fan, I actually felt it was kind of a slap in the face to all the actors on that show. "Oh yeah, just one thing about this next episode, you'll be singing to get the ratings back up. And by the way, there's going to be a scene where everyone is going to have sex and sing about sunshine while pregnant Callie (and baby of course) is fighting to survive after going through a car windshield.  kthnx! See you at the office party!" Honestly, if it was just Callie singing in the episode, it would've been perfect. But it royally sucked.

What's this have to do with a song? Well, as Callie is waking up at the end (duh...that's a given), her ghost or something is singing "The Story" by Brandi Carlile trying to wake herself up so she can say yes to a crying Arizona. I had never paid attention to the song before; mainly because I don't like Brandi Carlile's voice. There was a line that I really paid attention to, and if you pay attention to my updates on Facebook, you've probably seen it: 
And all the friends who think I'm blessed, they don't know I'm in this mess. No they don't know who I really am, and they don't know what I've been through, like you do
Yeah, I know, I'm over dramatic. I get it. But that is Jake for me; he gets me like no one else can. He knows me better than I know myself. He's patient and understanding, and he doesn't care if I have Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis or not. He knows what I've been through more than anyone, even the parents. He's the one I want to tell my stories to for the rest of my life. 
Plus Sara Ramirez completely rocked the song. Epically. She was the original Lady of the Lake in Spamalot. She won a Tony. She is awesome. 

Thoughts? Additions to the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment