Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Conservatism Comeback? (Non-political, promise)

There has been a wave of TV networks that have taken a step back and tried a more conservative aproach to what they air. TLC is an example. A lot of their programming they offer is kid-friendly, and kind of wholesome. For instance, 19 Kids and Counting is a show about a family who is EXTREMELY Christian. The Duggar fam are very much into Christian values and explain their beliefs so others can understand. The same thing applies to another show TLC has called Sister Wives. They explain their lives for us to view and discuss (I feel like Mike Meyers in Coffee Talk). With that being said, I need to be perfectly clear that those families are the extreme end of what I personally stand for, and they're a little bit nuts. Really nuts. Okay, WICKED nuts. Plus I think TLC plays that up a bit, and exploits the families to get an interesting show.

But TLC isn't the only network out there going back to a more conservative, value-centered outlook on TV. It seems like the big networks are doing the same; adding family-oriented shows to their Fall lineups or toning down some content on their returning shows. Yes, some shows and networks push in an opposite direction as well, but for the most part, there's a choice on TV; you don't have to settle with something that you don't agree with.
With this wave comes an issue of what's socially acceptable nowadays and what parents are allowing. I was talking to the woman I team teach with, and she and I were commenting on how we need to teach about what's socially acceptable. It seems like there isn't a limit as to what you see on TV, and students seem to not pick up on how to act in a public setting. Part of that reason is what they see at home and on TV.

It's the parents' prerogative (I had to google that, and it still looks completely wrong) to monitor what their children do online and what they watch; I can't control their home lives, I know that. But when these kids come to school and think it's okay to be punching because they saw it on Alias (okay, I get that it's a semi-old show, but I loved it when I was in high school), there's a problem.

My point is that it's nice to see these conservative shows are becoming popular; it makes me kind of hopeful that I wont be teaching all delinquents for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment