Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Illuminations

This is kind of new for me, but I really felt that I had to write about Josh Groban's Illuminations and what I really thought of it. I wouldn't call this a review, but just what I feel about the album itself. Jus to let you know, I bought the deluxe version with the extra bonus track (need to know that for later :-P).

Right off the bat, I'd like to say that I like the album a lot. It's something that Josh has never ventured into before, or at least the stuff that I have of his doesn't sound like the album.

Judging on just the music and not lyrics, Illuminations is not something to listen to if you are, say, a special ed teacher who has to drive 65 miles to work and you got out of bed an hour earlier and are still tired and it's so early it's still dark out. For me, the sound is very mellow (for most of the songs on the album, there are a few exceptions), and not something to get you going. On the other hand, if you are in the mood for something soothing and quiet, the music is great, and easy to listen to. It's definitely something that I would put on if I was just hanging out or if I needed background music. Oh, and by the way, I am NOT saying that the album is bad because I may use it as background music. That's a good thing! It means that I can put it on, and not have to worry about changing the song to another because I don't want to listen to the next plethora of music choices.

The lyrics of the songs are 100% fantastic; completely pulls you in. Even if I can't translate the language (Italian, Portuguese...I know the French song...), I can tell by the emotion in Josh's voice what the song conveys. If I had only one question to ask Josh Groban about this album, I would ask if he wrote the lyrics before the music was written because, seriously, the whole album's lyrics are really poetic and beautiful.

Now, if you don't want to get the whole album, that's fine. These are the ones that I feel work the best for me:

The Wandering Kind-- It's the first song and an instrumental, but it's a good song to kind of get you focused and in a certain mindset (for the album most likely).

Higher Window--Just beautiful. Period.

Voce Existe Em Mim-- The music is amazing on this track--the drums just make you want to get up and do something; doesn't matter what, but you just want to get up. Very powerful.

War At Home-- Heartbreaking, but completely true.

Straight To You-- I don't know what to say; the song just spoke to me.

Feels Like Home-- Now this song speaks to me the most. This is the bonus track that came with the deluxe version.

Thanks for listening! I know this is new, but I figured I would put it out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment