Thursday, February 25, 2010

My thoughts on my Theology Class

For my last theology class I'm taking Protestant Christianity. Honestly, I chose the class for two reasons. One, it was the only one that could fit into my schedule, and two, I wanted to open myself up a bit and experience what other Christians believe in.

Now, we've just been talking about the Reformation until recently, so it's been Western Civilizations all over again, but it was from a different perspective.

Now, we're really looking into the United States and Christianity. I guess I've always known, but it didn't really occur to me that this country was founded on Protestant beliefs. The Catholics were actually foreign to the country...the country was founded by the Puritans to try and get away from Anglicans and Catholics. I actually can chuckle at that.

I'm finding that the class is based on what I call "New England Protestant" beliefs. What we talk about in class and what we're told we're going to be seeing in the churches around the college (field trips, yay!) is not a lot like what I've experienced when I've gone to church with either Jake or his mother. It just seems like middle ground to me. That and there's something in me that can't bring myself to fully accept the teachings that we're learning about.

I wonder about that. Last Saturday, before I left for my best friend's house, I was talking to Jake's grandmother. She's incredibly wise, and I love her dearly. She made me realize that I didn't have to be just Catholic or just Protestant; I could have both, and that would be okay.

I think that's what I've been trying to do up until this week. I've been trying to look at Catholicism and Protestantism as two different sects that can't be mixed together. The class kind of supports that thinking as well.

All I know is that I want to try and balance my faith, which is based on Catholicism and understand what's going on outside of my faith as well.

At the same time, I just don't think I agree with all of the things that Protestants agree with it seems. All I want to do is integrate some of that into my faith and have everyone okay with it.

Is that bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment